Thursday, July 17, 2008

So long... farewell...

Well my time here in Uganda is coming to an end.
my blogs, whilst sporadic and frenzied will have shown you a little of what I did here, but words and pictures don’t go anywhere near close enough to capturing what I have felt, seen, smelt and heard and the empty space that is starting to make it’s presence felt in me, as I prepare to leave in two days.

I know this trip has changed me, it’s so clichéd but so true. I guess clichés are just that - over quoted truths that loose impact over time. Nonetheless this trip has changed things in me, and essentially Uganda and her people have captured my heart (I know more clichés - so shot me)

I am currently reviewing my whole life, including occupation, location and life plans, and to do this I need to remove myself from this place, clear my head and see if it’s possible that I am just on some kind of emotional high? It wouldn’t be the first time.

Anyway I will miss my babies incredibly, and will no doubt cry for the next ONE HUNDRED days. I will miss the Nannies who do a beautiful job of loving and serving their needy and never appeased babies day in and day out. I will miss Annie and Nicola who work tirelessly without the support network of close family and friends from back home around them to help them through their massive undertaking. I will miss the Watoto Staff, team hosts included who brightened my time here, with their ridiculous sense of humour. I will miss the absurd taxi and boda boda drivers who seem to do nothing but drive and fall in love. I will miss the village kids and particularly my ex-babies home toddlers and Jennifer my sponsor child.

But I will be back. That is almost certain. I am sure only premature death will stop me.

Thank you so much to everyone who supported me along the way – particularly those who supported me in prayer, well wishes and financial contributions – without you – this would have been impossible. I am serious – but sorry for the clichés.

I will probably continue to upload some more pictures of my time here – but for now – adious amigos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for your blog entries. Looking forward to having you home again. Anytime you want to come over - just pop by

Natalie said...

Felicity, thanks for your blog and for working with the babies. When my wife Natalie first thought about going to Uganda and going to Watoto it was your blog and your faith that showed her that she could go as a volunteer at the babies home, before your blog she was looking to go with one of the building groups, but her heart was with finding a way to work with the babies at the bulrushes. And just like you this has been a life changing event for her. I do not believe that you are on some type of emotional high, I believe that you are a very special person and that God is proud to have you on his side and He has wonderful plans for you. The babies were blessed to have you and so were we.

For the Children
Scott Robbins
Natalie’s husband

PS
Your pictures are great so I hope you have time to put more of them on your blog.